One of the common mistakes we make as caregivers is to eliminate the very activities that give older adults a sense of purpose. Our first inclination is to “entertain” instead of giving older adults a “job-related” activity. However, older adults also need to feel needed and seen by others as productive members of society. For many of us, productivity equates to the feeling of importance.
Assigning tasks requires creativity. It is most successful upon taking the time to understand an individual’s unique history and personality. For someone living with dementia, traveling back in time is common. We can anticipate some of possible job-related activities by knowing what our clients did for work 20,30, or 60 years ago. We piece this puzzle together through a thorough initial assessment and continued conversations with family and friends.
Sometimes job-related tasks can be accomplished by involving the client with their own care. Depending on their GEMTM level and living arrangements, clients may even want to take part in activities for other residents. In the Diamond and Emerald stages, we need to take care to control for external stimuli that might distract from the schedule or make unnecessary changes. For later GEM stages, we will then have to adapt tasks to ensure that the client continues to successfully complete them.
We welcome the opportunity to tell you more about our dementia care services.
Why Choose Us?
- We focus on what our clients can do, not what they cannot.
- There is a no cost, collaborative health and wellness assessment.
- 24/7 availability, including holidays and weekends.
- We are staffed with Certified Nursing Assistances (“CNA”s), not Home Health Aides. All of our CNAs have years of geriatric experience and exhibit a passion for caring for those with progressive diseases.
- Regular visits by licensed clinicians to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Carepartners are employees of NursePartners, not subcontractors.
- We seek to engage our clients in meaningful activities; we seek to exceed your expectations.
- Our standards are higher than those set by the healthcare industry.